Saturday, December 12, 2009

What happened last Thursday?

Well, you see, we didn't have anything to do at school, so we decided to do some MythBusters stuff. Emer and I started it out by making tiny explosions with a can of Coke, a piece of string, some methyl alcohol, and some matches. Then we got bored, so we took a WHOLE ball of string, basted it tenderly in some methyl alcohol, then set it on fire and played soccer with it. I accidentally extinguished it, so we took a BIGGER ball and set it on fire again. THEN we put that ball in a can. I poured some denatured alcohol over it (we used denatured to play safe). Then BA-BOOM!!! An explosion! I put the bottle too close to the flames and ball of fire rose. I felt my hand getting hot, and I looked to see that the bottle (I was still clutching it) was aflame. I gently put it down and blew the fire dead. We ended the day by taking the bottom halves of a couple of Coke cans, taping them together, pouring in a lot of denatured alcohol (I wanted to use methyl), marinating the string in the same type of alcohol, putting one end of the string in a hole on the can, and lighting the string, much like a bomb. The top (bottom) half of the can flew up with a loud "POP" and hit a tree branch. I'm sure it could've flown 20 feet into the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment